Casual Administrative and School Support Staff

Casual Administrative and School Support Staff Registration Process
Casual Administrative and School Support Staff Renewal Process


The Education and Training Directorate employs casual staff in a wide variety of positions across schools and central office. The Directorate accepts applications for casual employment throughout the year.

The variety of roles available for casual administrative and school support staff include:

Administrative Officers

Administrative officers in schools perform a range of duties relating to school financial procedures including computerised accounting, collection of public monies; supervision of clerical and support staff, coordination of repairs and maintenance of school property; liaison with the public and school related bodies and support to the Principal. Knowledge of computerised financial systems is an advantage.

Administrative positions in central office may involve Executive Assistant roles, data processing, research and analysis or other general administrative work.

Learning Support Assistant (LSA)

Full-time working hours for assistants are 6:15 hours per day with commencement and cessation times varying between schools. Casual and temporary employment is available in mainstream and special schools. LSA's work with teachers to facilitate learning programs for students with a wide range of disabilities.

Special Schools/Settings

This includes special schools, Learning Support Units (LSU) and Learning Support Classes (LSC). In special schools and LSU's the role includes supporting the teacher in the provision of educational program for students with disabilities and meeting their physical care needs in terms of toileting and feeding. May also include working under the direction of a physiotherapist, speech pathologist or occupational therapist in the provision of an individual therapy program. An LSU is a class of eight students in a mainstream school. The LSA role may include support of individual students in mainstream classes where appropriate. Learning Support Classes are classes of 14 to 16 students in mainstream schools. Students have significant learning needs and the role focuses on supporting the teacher in all aspects of the provision of educational programs. No mandatory qualifications are required.

For specific information on work available in Special Schools please contact the school:

  • Black Mountain School (02) 6205 6377
  • The Woden School (02) 6205 5966
  • Cranleigh School (02) 6205 8000
  • Malkara School (02) 6205 5911
  • Turner School (02) 6205 6622

Mainstream Schools

Role focuses on supporting the teacher to include a child with a disability in all school activities. Duties may include preparation of class materials, supporting the health care and physical needs of a student and general work in the classroom not directly focussing on the student with a disability. Some support of therapy or specific programs may be included.

Autism Support Assistant

The duties of an Autism Support Assistant include supporting teaching and therapy staff in all aspects of education for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Registered nursing qualifications and current First Aid certificate may be an advantage.

Vision Support Assistant

The duties of a Vision Support Assistant include supporting students with a vision impairment in the classroom, the production of resources into alternative formats (Braille, large print, tactile, audio) and the use of other vision specific resources and technology. Applicants must be competent in the use of Unified English Braille.

Communication Support Assistant

The duties of a Communication Support Assistant include working as part of a team with the Classroom Teacher and Support Teacher Hearing to provide a supportive learning environment for students with a hearing impairment. Applicants must be able to sign fluently in either Auslan or Signed English.

Bilingual Assistant

The duties of a Bilingual Assistant include interpreting, translating, classroom assistance and general clerical assistance. Applicants must be fluent speakers of a language other than English.

School Assistants

Full-time working hours for school assistants are 6:15 hours per day with commencement and cessation times varying between schools. School assistant roles include Library, Industrial Arts, Laboratory, Home Science and General Assistant and School Secretary. No mandatory qualifications are required.

Preschool Assistants

Full-time working hours for preschool assistants are 6:15 hours per day. Day to day casual work is on a sessional basis assisting in the provision of the preschool program under teacher direction. From 1 January 2012 all ACT school preschool units will be subject to requirements under the Education and Care Services National Law Act (ACT) 2011. Under this legislation, from the start of 2014 all ACT public school preschool unit assistants will be required to have, or be working towards a minimum qualification requirement (Certificate III in Children's Services or equivalent) as detailed in the Education and Care Services National Law Act (ACT) 2011 and regulations.

Defence School Transition Aide (Primary)

The Defence School Transition Aide (DSTA) Program provides support to children of Australian Defence Force (ADF) and their families, particularly during their transition into and out of a school on posting. The program aims to assist the smooth transition of mobile Australian Defence Force children. The DSTA assists children and parents to become part of the school community, answers questions about the school and provides a link from families to the school.

Defence Transition Mentor (Secondary)

The Defence Transition Mentor (DTM) works in secondary schools to provide information, support and referral to young people from mobile Australian Defence Force (ADF) families. The DTM works with individuals and groups to support and assist young people of Australian Defence Force families to integrate into the school community, raise awareness of mobility issues facing students and assist students to build self-confidence and resilience.

Building Service Officers (BSO)

Building Service Officers are no longer engaged through this casual registration process. If you are interested in seeking employment as a BSO please contact the Building Service Officer Relief Pool ( for further information.

Casual Administrative and School Support Staff Registration Process

The casual registration process for administrative and school support staff involves the successful completion of pre-employment checks including a National Criminal History Records Check and a medical examination where the Directorate considers it appropriate. Evidence of registration (a casual identification card) needs to be provided before undertaking any employment with the Directorate.If you:

  • have not previously worked with the Directorate or
  • have not worked with the Directorate for a period of three years

Application for Employment - School Administration and Support Staff Word Word file type logo (664.3kb) PDF PDF file type logo (1.4mb)

Please read our Privacy Statement regarding the collection of personal information.

Casual Administrative and School Support Staff Renewal Process

Identification Cards issued to casuals are current until 31 December each year. Applications for Renewal of casual registration for the following year need to be submitted to the Directorate's Recruitment Services area during December of that year and will be processed during January in time for the start of the following school year.

The preferred method of renewing your registration is on-line through the School Staffing Integrated Management System (SiMS) at External Link A hard copy renewal form is also available below.

Casual Employment Renewal - Administration and Support Staff Word Word file type logo (48.2kb) PDF PDF file type logo (534kb)
Personal Details FormSuperannuation Choice Forms PDF file type logo (309kb)

This form may also be used if you are applying for a new approval if you are:

  • a part-time employee applying for additional casual employment
  • a current employee on Leave Without Pay (LWOP)
  • a recently retired / resigned employee applying for Casual Employment (must be within the last three years)

If you are applying under one of the three categories listed above you will also need to submit the Superannuation Choice form and a Tax File Number Declaration form (available from selected newsagents and most Post Offices). If you have not worked for the Directorate for more than three years you may be required to submit a complete application pack. Please contact Human Resources on 6205 5000 or email for advice.